Want to block promotional sms and calls ? Do you get annoyed, when every hour you get SMS or call from telemarketing companies ? Well i know the feeling. I bought a new sim card, and within days i start getting these promotional sms and calls every hour. Either someone wanted to sell me insurance or someone was giving me discount on their products. My Inbox was flooded with their sms. I had to clear my Inbox everyday. I was getting more calls from telemarketing companies than my own family and friends.😀
Back then i did not know how to stop these commercial messages. But now i do and that’s what i am going to share with you in this article. The service is called DO NOT DISTURB (DND). Now a days there are lots of Apps for blocking calls and sms. But DND is promoted by Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI).
- To read this article in Hindi click Here.
What is DND ?
DND Registry also know as NCPR (National Customer Preference Register) is a national data base containing a list of the telephone numbers of all subscribers who do not want to receive promotional calls or SMS. In other words, If any customer have registered their number with NCPR, promotional call/sms can not be made to that number.
Telemarketers have to check the number list in the NCPR registry before making a call or sending a sms. As per TRAI guidelines, Telemarketing companies are prohibited from making promotional calls or sms to subscribers who have registered themselves in the NCPR. Telemarketers have to check their database of numbers with the NCPR twice a week. They can get fined if they call or send sms to the number that is registered with NCPR.
How to register your number on DND/NCPR registry ?
Anyone with any service provider (sim card), can register his/her number with the National Consumer Preference Registry. Customers (landline and mobile) who don’t want to receive promotional communications can register their number by :-
- SMS to 1909
- Call 1909
- TRAI DND App
You can register in two Category :-
- Fully Blocked Category – To stop of all Promotional Calls/SMS write START 0 and send it to 1909.
- Partially Blocked Category – To stop of all promotional Calls/SMS except the preferences you choose. You have to send SMS in this format START <preference no>. Remember you will get promotional sms only from that preference and all the other sms/calls will be blocked.
At present there are 7 preferences to choose from –
- Banking/Insurance/Financial Products/Credit Cards
- Real Estate
- Consumer goods and automobiles
For example, If you send START 4 to 1909, you will receive messages only on HEALTH only and all the other sms/call will get blocked. You can include more than one preference. If you send START 4,7 to 1909 you will receive messages for Health and Tourism.
- Send SMS START 0 to 1909 to – Fully blocked
- Send SMS START 1 to 1909 to Receive SMS/calls related to only – Banking, Insurance, Financial products and credit cards
- Send SMS START 2 to 1909 to Receive SMS/calls related to only – Real Estate – To receive SMS/calls only for this.
- Send SMS START 3 to 1909 to Receive SMS/calls related to only – Education
- Send SMS START 4 to 1909 to Receive SMS/calls related to only – Health
- Send SMS START 5 to 1909 to Receive SMS/calls related to only – Consumer goods and automobiles
- Send SMS START 6 to 1909 to Receive SMS/calls related to only- Communication, Broadcasting, Entertainment and IT
- Send SMS START 7 to 1909 to Receive SMS/calls related to only – Tourism and Leisure
By Call 1909 –
If you call 1909 for DND registration, you will have to choose between either an interactive voice response system or a customer care executive and select your preferences.
By TRAI DND App –
App enables smart phone users to register their mobile number under DND. With help of this App you can Set your DND preferences. Lodge a complaint with your service provider. Check the status of complaints filed by you.
On successful registration,
- You will receive an SMS confirming DND activation and a Unique Registration Number within 24 hrs.
- The registration will be effective within 7 days.
- If after 7 days you still receive a promotional sms/call, you can register a complaint within 3 days of receipt of such sms/call by dialing or sending SMS to 1909.
- You will have to provide the number or header of the sms/call from where the sms/call has been received, short description of such sma/call or along with the date of receipt of sms/call.
- Send SMS “the unsolicited commercial communication, XXXXXXXXXX, dd/mm/yy” to 1909. Where XXXXXXXXXX – is the number or header of the call/SMS.
How to Deregister –
- You can Deregister by sending a SMS: STOP 0 to 1909. or calling 1909.
- You can only deactivate after 3 months from your date of activation.
- The activation or deactivation of DND will be effective within 7 days from the date of registration.
Points to remember with DND registration –
- DND (NCPR) cannot block your bank SMS alerts, online bookings, friend/family calling and etc. It block only telemarketing calls/sms.
- It takes minimum 7 days to process your request.
- You can only apply for new DND request 3 months after the previous request.
- Calls and messages to 1909 is completely toll free.
- To read this article in Hindi click Here.